The Executor's Companion: A Practical Guide to Estate Administration
By: Robert E. Kass, JD, LLM, Robert H. Downie, MBA, and Yuh Suhn Kim, JD, Editor
25 chapters, 370 pp, including glossary, Michigan probate forms, and detailed index.
Price: $29.95. ISBN 978-0-9856814-0-1.
10 Chapters, over 130 pages, including Table of State
Statutes on Pet Trusts, Pet Informaton Sheet, Pet Trust
Drafting Checklist, and 14 full color illustrations
Price $24.95 ISBN 978-0-615-44340-9
Read this book to learn:
- Why you must plan for the care of your pets if something happens to you
- Why planning for your incapacity, unexpected absence and emergencies is as important as planning for your death
- Who are the key players in planning for your pets’ welfare, and how to choose them wisely
- How to determine the right level of care to be provided, how much money to provide, and when to fund it
- What are the legal ways to plan for your pets’ future welfare, and how to plan in any state
- How to minimize taxes and avoid surprises in your planning
- How pets show grief on loss of an owner, and how to obtain grief support after the loss of a pet
- How to memorialize your pet, and leave a legacy
- How to implement the plan, weighing the pros and cons of using an online document preparation service or an experienced pet planning attorney
A Practical Guide to Estate Administration
for Widows, Widowers and Heirs
for Widows, Widowers and Heirs
Kass and Downie, highly experienced estate planners and administrators, have teamed up to provide a truly practical guide to demystify estate administration. They provide step-by-step guidance, numerous checklists and case studies, and tips to keep peace in the family, giving the reader the benefit of practical insights gleaned through decades of professional experience in the planning and settling of estates of all sizes.
Their objective: “To guide you through the process of handling an estate as quickly as possible...provide practical tips to maximize your inheritance, save you time and money, and help avoid costly mistakes...get you organized and keep you on track.”
This is the first layman’s guide to estate administration with a specific focus on Michigan estates, as it includes an extensive discussion of Michigan probate procedure under the new Estates and Protected Individuals Code (EPIC) and specimen forms. However, the majority of the material will be useful to anyone handling an estate in any state.
This book is currently out of print. However, pre-orders are being taken for the fully updated and expanded book which replaces it, titled "The Executor's Companion." This is expected to be published in mid-2013. Call Carob Tree Press at 877-537-4178.
"The Executor's Companion" includes many new topics, discussion based on the new Michigan Trust Code, and the 2012 Tax Act which substantially changed the impact of the federal estate tax on most estates. It also provides valuable insights into how to keep peace in the family when settling an estate, how to protect and pass on digital assets, how to deal with an insolvent estate, and how to deal with "under water" real estate.